Exchange, repair and retrofitting
VDO partner workshops are your expert contact for all matters relating to tachographs.
Exchange and repair
Please note that only authorised workshops are allowed to install digital tachographs and to carry out the initial calibration.
In order to save our customers valuable time, we have set up an exchange service. VDO partner workshops keep spare devices on-site to replace defective devices. This ensures that vehicles can get back on the road immediately. Repaired devices are then put back into circulation for future use.
This is how customers benefit:
- In Europe there are 7000 service workshops and 28 national distributors for all warranty issues
- Customers can choose from the complete range of original devices and universally applicable replacement devices
- The latest software is always installed on the devices and the workshop makes sure that the drivers are given correct instructions
- Papers are handled with minimal bureaucracy directly on site
- In case of warranty no costs are incurred for commissioning and testing the device
- Depending on the vehicle manufacturer, each new tachograph has an agreed pan-European factory guarantee at Continental
Analogue devices are replaced with an equivalent analogue device. However, fleet managers should consider whether a repair is really worthwhile, considering that the latest generation of digital tachographs offer many functions that boost fleet efficiency substantially, with features such as remote download, graphic printouts and fast downloads. If you choose a digital tachograph, we offer the latest generation DTCO device at a preferred customer price – plus a 24-month factory guarantee.
Digital tachographs can also be exchanged immediately. Customers receive the latest generation DTCO exchange device with up-to-date software. This allows you to benefit from all the advantages of modern universal devices, such as the display of driving and rest periods, remote download options and many more functions. This replacement process is a particularly cost-effective method of repair, because customers receive a full factory guarantee for 24 months on all exchanged digital tachographs.
According to legislation, SUVs and small transit vans that exceed a certain weight (3.5 tons) and are used for commercial purposes must be retrofitted with digital tachographs (solution for maintenance workers). The retrofitting must be carried out by an authorised workshop, and will automatically effect registration.
A DTCO GeoLoc is also installed as part of the retrofit. It supplies the second movement signal required by law.
Do you have an older digital tachograph? Here you can see which functions are supported on the different devices and which upgrades you need.
|DTCO 1.2a||DTCO 1.3||DTCO 1.4||DTCO 2.0*||DTCO 2.0a||DTCO 2.1||DTCO 2.1 |
|Independent motion signal support|
|Advance warning of periodic test interval, card expiry|
|Remote download interface for remote download (DLD) and
|Rest period with ignition off|
|Consumption recorded with DTCO Fuelgate|
* Upgrade of the release is possible via workshop
** Must be activated with an Update Card
*** Can only be activated via the workshop Find a workshop